If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Oregon.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Thursday, January 29, 2009

My primary focus

Unemployment levels increase in all Oregon counties. [Oregon Live] 01.26.09

"Statewide, more Oregonians were out of work last month than at any time since 1983. Oregon's jobless rate was 8.8 percent, compared with 5.4 percent in December 2007."
--
This is one of the reasons we need to 'Prep' and I think it's the most important reason to do it now.

Unemployment is likely to increase for at least the next foreseeable future and having food and other materials handy will ease our minds and decrease the stress on our budgets should we be in the next batch of people to hit the unemployment lines.

Oregon's maximum unemployment benefit is $482/week, before taxes (the equivalent of $12/hour). If you're used to bringing home twice that much you're going to have a hard time meeting your bills, looking for a job and feeding your family. If on the other hand you had been making 12/hour before, don't expect a free vacation, you'll receive considerably less than the maximum amount and it could be as low as $113/week pre-tax.

If you have a decent supply of staples (not the pointy kind) and can put in a garden, grow some container vegetables, brew up a batch of sprouts on the kitchen counter, you can supplement that $482 taking some of the stress off.

This is my focus for the 'OPN' at this time. I'll interject a few other things relating to wilderness survival, frugal living, handy gadgets, DIY projects and the like. I'm not going to dwell on many other aspects being discussed on so many other websites and in the news, I'll be keeping my focus on helping out the individual and his family and the community they live in.

I'm new at the blogging 'thing' so be gentle as I jump into the mix. If you have other ideas or would like to join in let me know.

Thanks - Rick

3 comments:

APN said...

Excellent first post Rick! Glad to have you aboard. I was born and raised in central Oregon. Have friends and family near portland

Shy Wolf said...

Thanx, Rick- welcome to the American Prepper Network.
Now, lemme get my hobnails on so I can jump on you with both feet...
Shy

Rick said...

Those hobnails won't work, my tinned pants and jacket resist most pegs that size, unless they're really sharp. I do have some weak spots though *wink*.

Rick


Oregon Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Oregon Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.